- The average American throws away approximately 185 pounds of plastic per year.
- The USA throws away 35 billion plastic water bottles every year. Annually approximately 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide.
- More than one million bags are used every minute.
- It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
- Plastic constitutes approximately 90 percent of all trash floating on the ocean’s surface, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile.
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- New study finds 73% of deep water fish in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean have ingested micro plastics.
- Some 45% of all seabird species, 25% of cetaceans, all sea turtle species and a growing list of fish species have been documented with plastic in or around their bodies.
Christopher J. Gervais, FRGS
Wildlife Conservation Film Festival
October 18-28, 2018 | New York, NY
LinkedIn: Wildlife Conservation Film Festival